The stories of Greenwood “residents” are written by Burlington Historical Society member and long time volunteer, Peggy Armstrong. Peggy was involved with the OHS Cemetery project and has continued, over the years, to research the stories.
We will continue to add chapters monthly so, please come again.
By a deed dated 30 September 1888, The Greenwood Cemetery Company of Burlington purchased eight acres of land for $2,000 from James C. Filman, a widower. It was a fenced property located on the western side of Rambo Creek and south of the road leading through the Brant farm to the Village of Burlington. Subsequently that road took the name of the cemetery, becoming Greenwood Drive.
A change in management of the cemetery took place on 11 March 1968 when the Town of Burlington took over from the Board of Trustees of Greenwood Cemetery.
In October 1978, the remains of people that had been buried in Tansley Cemetery were moved and reinterred in Block A of the New Section. The cemetery office has no record of the quantity of remains that were reinterred or the names of the people. There may be approximately 29. Only four gravestones were moved from Tansley Cemetery.
There are many “charity” interments (which may number in the hundreds) for which there are no cemetery records. These are located along the east side of the cemetery near the children’s section.