Chapter 9 – “They Died  Away”

And Returned to Greenwood for Burial



Members of Burlington families have for various reasons, left for other places. It may have been for work. With the often large number of children born into a single household, it may have been necessary for sons, and some daughters, of either a business man or farmer to look elsewhere for their future living.


The experience of education away from home provided the opportunity of independence and may have lead to contacts with students from other places.

Parents, in their later years, also relocated to be closer to their children who had settled sometimes a long distance away.

In more recent years, residents traveling have run into end of life health situations and have been returned by air to Burlington for burial, but it wasn’t always that easy when the mode of transport was the railway.

In almost all of these situations, a family, and a family plot in Greenwood was awaiting their return if necessary.


The reason for leaving and the cause of death are not available for some of the following residents who died away.


1893   Jane Hilton Davidson  –  El Paso, Texas


Charles H. Davidson had left Burlington and settled in either El Paso, Texas or across the border in Mexico, where we know he was employed in the spring of 1893. For unusual circumstances, which we may relate another time, he was required to return to Burlington, leaving his wife, the former Minnie Allen, and children behind. With the knowledge that Charles was not going to be able to return soon to Mexico, his parents traveled south in May of 1893, to support their daughter-in-law. On November 17th of that year Jane Hilton Davidson, mother of Charles Davidson, died in El Paso, Texas and was returned to Burlington for interment in  Block 13 of Greenwood Cemetery.




1907     Victor Leslie  Dynes  –  Winnipeg


Victor was the youngest son of Charles and Mary Dynes.  For a number of years he had been employed as a locomotive fireman on the C.P. R.   He was 24 years of age when he became ill with an attack of typhoid fever. Friends with whom he boarded obtained the best hospital and medical attention they could procure however he died in St. Boniface Hospital on March 26 1907.

Following his death the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen, gave his brother Theron, who had arrived in Winnipeg a day earlier, all the assistance they could, and procured passes for himself and the remains to their parents home in Burlington.

Victor was survived by his parents, 5 brothers and 3 sisters. He was interred in Block 19 of Greenwood Cemetery on Sunday March 31 1907.

Photo courtesy Brotherhood of  Locomotive Firemen


1912     Hugh Blake Cotter  – Chicago


Hugh Blake Cotter was the second son of Horatio & Eliza Cotter. He was born in 1874 and lived in Burlington until he took up sailing, about 1900. Hugh sailed the lakes for a number of years, until he secured a permanent position in Chicago some 2 years prior to his death.  No details of his death were reported in the newspaper. His father received a telegram on Friday the 8th of November, his body arrived the following Monday evening and his funeral took place to Greenwood Cemetery, Block 11, on Wednesday, 13 Nov., 1912.  Hugh Blake Cotter was 38 years of age.



1912   William H. Burns  – Little Rock, Arkansas


The Burlington Gazette, of 4 Dec 1912, reported the death of William H. Burns, aged 56, at Little Rock Arkansas. Funeral to take place from the home of his mother, Mr. George Burns, Brant Street, on Thursday 5 December.  The family plot in Block 3 of Greenwood Cemetery, was purchased by his father George, in 1891 upon the death of another son.  There is no inscription or marker for William or his parents.



1918   Ernest Wesley Quinn  –  Winnipeg

 Ernest was not a Burlington boy but was married to a Burlington girl, the former Margaret Allen. Ernest had been born in Owen Sound with his later education at McMaster University, Toronto, and the Manitoba university. As a young graduate lawyer, he went to Winnipeg in 1913, joining a firm there. He had run as a Laurier-Liberal candidate in the recent federal election.

On April the 1st, Ernest Quinn succumbed to an attack of pneumonia.  His widow and her sister accompanied the remains to Burlington, where his funeral took place on Friday, April 5th with interment in Block 24 of Greenwood Cemetery. The Burlington Masons attended in a body, and conducted the service at the grave.  Ernest Quinn was 39 years of age.



1918   Thomas Roderick –  Phoenix B.C.


Thomas was the eldest son, of the late James and Eleanor Roderick.  Thomas had been born in South Wales coming to Canada with his parents in 1870 at about 3 years of age. His parents did a little farming, then soon got into the hotel business, operating for various periods of time in Waterdown, Dundas, Clappison’s Corners and were owners and operators of the Burlington Hotel on Brant Street in Burlington,  from 1888 to 1900. [For many years this hotel was known as The Coronation, but in 2016 is Wendel Clark’s Classic Grill and Bar.]

Thomas was already living in Phoenix B.C. at the time of his father’s death in 1900.  On 20 July of 1918, his mother received a telegram that her son had been killed on the 19th in a mining accident. His remains were shipped to Burlington.  Thomas was a member of the A.F. & A.M. in Phoenix B.C. The Burlington Lodge attended in a body and conducted their service at the grave in Greenwood Cemetery, Block 15. Thomas Roderick was about 51 years of age.



1922   Absalom Cline –  Boisie, Idaho

A.B. Cline, as he was known, had lived with his wife Bridget, on the lower east side of Brant Street for much of their married life. The building still shows that it clearly had been a home. You may remember it as Watson’s Jewellery store or, a few years ago as Tumblehome.  A family of 5 sons and a daughter all settled in western United States, in California, Washington and Utah.  A.B.’s wife died in 1906. He spent his later years living with his children.  Death came on March 4th of 1922, at the home of his daughter Frances, in Boisie Idaho. At his expressed wish his remains were brought here for burial in Greenwood Cemetery, Block 28.


Photo: BHS Archives


1927   Harry Bray –  Seattle, Washington


Harry Bray was struck and killed by a street car on 26th March 1927. He was 43 years of age. Harry had served overseas in the Great War. About 1923 he moved to Seattle Washington, where his life ended by accident. His wife returned with his remains for burial in Greenwood Cemetery, block 45.  Harry had been a member of the 164th overseas battalion and was buried with military honors, members of the Canadian Legion, Post 60, forming the firing squad.





1964   William M. Gilbert  – Australia



As related in Chapter 2 of A Walk in Greenwood – The Gilbert Family, William Gilbert died in Sydney, Australia, at the beginning of a planned world tour with fellow Rotarian Paul Fisher. He died on the 30th January 1964. William was 71. His remains were flown home for burial in the Gilbert family plot, Block 37 of Greenwood Cemetery.






1987 & 2003   Marjorie A  & Charles F. Lambshead –  South Africa


Marjorie and Charles Lambshead began a life as missionaries with the African Evangelical Fellowship, in Johannesburg, South Africa, on May 13 1964.

Marjorie died there on Aug 11 1987, following about 23 years of service. She was aged 54 years.  Charles continued his mission until his death on April 14, 2003. He was in his 86th year and had served in South Africa for nearly 39 years. In both cases, the remains were returned to Burlington, for Burial in Greenwood Cemetery, Block 35.



©Peggy Armstrong 2016


Sources: Burlington Gazette

             Christian Guardian

             BHS Archives