Richard William Dingle was born on a farm located in the Cannon Street area of Hamilton in the year 1857. During his early married life he farmed near Dundas. Four of the 6 children of Richard and his wife Emma were born there.
About 1896 the family moved to Burlington where Mr. Dingle opened a butcher shop on Brant Street, operating there until January of 1935 when his employee, Howard Sheppard, bought the business. R.W. Dingle was a lover of amateur sport and especially enthusiastic of hockey, baseball and lacrosse.
Richard William Dingle died the 5th of December 1941, at the age of 85 years. His wife, Emma, was predeceased by 2 of their children when she died at age 96 in 1963.
Lena Maud Dingle, the second youngest child (1895-1980), is remembered on her parents’ marker. We know that in 1915 she was successful in passing her Matriculation and Normal Entrance examination. When the 1921 census was taken, Lena, 23 years of age, living at home (at the time of the census) is recorded as being a teacher with an income of $900. Lena became qualified as a Household Science teacher and taught for many years at “Franklin School” in Toronto. She was still living in Toronto when she died in 1980.
Russell Tweedie Dingle, 4th child and 2nd son was born in Dundas in 1893. His early education took place in Burlington. As did his brothers and sisters, he took a job in a local business to earn money. By 1915, Russell was in his third year at Woodstock College. At that time Russell enlisted for overseas service in WWI, signing up with the motor cycle corps. The war service delayed his graduation from the University of Western, London, Ontario until 1926. Russell then went to Schenectady, N.Y. for a few months, working on the “house surgeon” hospital staff. Shortly after returning he opened his own practice in Burlington. Dr. Russell Dingle’s home and practice were for many years at 1457 Ontario Street, just west of Brant Street.
Dr. Russell Dingle married Dorothy Appleford of Port Nelson in 1934. The couple had a son Bruce and a daughter, Lesley.
Advertisement from the Burlington Gazette
Dr. Dingle was appointed Medical Officer of Health for Burlington in 1946, following the retirement of Dr. Speers. He served on the high school board, was a past president of the Burlington Lion’s Club and was surgeon-lieutenant attached to the Burlington Sea Cadets.
Lloyd Denham Dingle, the youngest of the Dingle children, was born in Burlington in 1899. Following his early education in Burlington, Lloyd chose to attend McMaster University in Toronto. Lloyd graduated from Osgood Hall with an M.A. in 1923. He formed a partnership with a Mr. Schatz, in Toronto, but in January of 1924, was operating a temporary office at the family residence in Burlington on Fridays and Saturdays. In July of that year his business card in the newspaper gives his location as “over” 52 Brant Street.
Lloyd D. Dingle was elected Mayor of Burlington for the 1931-1932 term
Lloyd was also a member of the Burlington Lion’s Club, serving as secretary-treasurer.
At the age of 36, Lloyd married Margaret Vining, daughter of Rev. Dr. and Mrs. Vining of Toronto. Lloyd and “Peg”, as his wife was known, raised 2 children, Denham and Alison.
Lloyd tried his hand in politics again in 1937, when he was chosen as the Conservative Candidate for Halton for the Provincial election. He was, however, defeated by the Liberal Candidate from Oakville.
In the spring of 1949, Lloyd D. Dingle, K.C., was appointed Crown Attorney for Halton County.
Lloyd Denham Dingle, Q.C. died in 1967, still a relatively young man. His wife, Margaret died in 2004 at the age of 96 years.
Florence Lydia Dingle was the eldest of the children of Richard W. and Emma Dingle. She was born in Dundas in 1887. Most of her early education took place in Burlington. The newspaper reports that in 1906 Miss Flossie Dingle won the Wellington scholarship in mathematics at Trinity University. The following year, Florence was a teacher at East End School but resigned in September of 1908 to resume her studies at Trinity College in Toronto.
Florence curtailed her education to marry Dr. Thomas W. Peart (Burlington Mayor, 1919) at the end of December 1910. A daughter, Helen, born in 1915, graduated from McMaster University in Hamilton in 1938 with an honours B.A. in English and History. Dr. Peart had died in June of 1937.
Florence and her daughter Helen moved to Montréal, where Florence completed her B.A. at Sir George Williams College, and two years later her librarian course at McGill University with a B.L.S. degree. She worked in the medical library at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal until she died in 1963.
Her daughter Helen also took her B.L.S. degree and worked as a librarian at the Bank of Montreal, the International Labour Organization and, later, the Law Library of McGill University. She then moved to Ottawa where she worked at the C.C.F. National headquarters.
In 1947 Florence and Helen took a trip to England which resulted in an appointment for Helen at the London School of Economics.
Both Florence and Helen are remembered on the Peart marker in Block 9, although Helen is not interred here. Helen married in London and bore a daughter who carried on the family legacy of success.
Neither of the other two Dingle children were interred at Greenwood, however, the following tells what we know about them.
William Hugh Dingle (Hugh) was born in Dundas in 1889, the second child and eldest son of Richard and Emma. For a time he was employed at Hick’s Jewelry store, then went “west”. His marriage in Winnipeg, December 1915, is announced in our local Gazette newspaper, however, we have as yet not determined his occupation. Hugh died suddenly at Vancouver, B.C. in March of 1956.
Della Sarah Dingle was born in Dundas in 1891. In 1910 she was awarded the prize offered by Hon. Colin Campbell, for the best 1500 word essay on the Rev. Egerton Ryerson. The complete essay was printed in the Burlington Gazette. A year later she was appointed to a teaching position at Central School, to be paid $450. Later she taught at Drombo public school.
It seems these positions provided her with the funding necessary to attend Cornell University where, by about 1922, she had acquired a B.A. degree.
Della secured a position in the Methodist Book Room, Toronto. She resigned in 1925 to accept a position on staff at the University of Toronto with the Department of Psychology.
In 1927 Della was married to Fred W. Kemp, M.A. of Toronto.
Sources: The Burlington Gazette, Microfilm, Burlington Public Library
Greenwood Cemetery, OGS Transcription
Peart Family History, BHS Archives
1921 Canada Census (Lena) researched by Joan Downey
Toronto City Directories (Lena) researched by Pat Taylor, Toronto Reference Library